Will you support independent, non-partisan journalism?
Become a champion of local news and unlock additional benefits as a LebTown member, like exclusive members-only emails, access to comments, invitations to members-only events, and more.
Make an impact. Cancel anytime.
Already a member? Login here
All Pennsylvania museums will be free on Sunday, March 10, including the Cornwall Iron Furnace.
The free admission is offered as part of Charter Day, which celebrates the Pennsylvania Charter to William Penn, signed March 4, 1681. The event is on Facebook here.
The Cornwall Iron Furnace is open from noon until 5pm on Sunday’s, with the last tour beginning at 3:15pm. It is located at 94 Rexmont Road. Visitors are advised to dress warmly as the site can be chilly this time of year.
The Buckingham Mansion, a former ironmaster’s estate, will also be open for tours that day. The mansion is located on Cornwall Manor’s Buckingham Campus.
The nearly 338 year old Charter document and four accompanying Indian deeds will be publicly displayed at the State Museum in Harrisburg for a brief time starting Sunday March 11 to Friday March 16, when the documents will be returned to their high-security vault.
The Cornwall Iron Furnace was established in 1742 by Peter Grubb. It was transferred to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1932.
Other museums participating in Charter Day include:
- Brandywine Battlefield Park, Chadds Ford
- Conrad Weiser Homestead, Womelsdorf
- Daniel Boone Homestead, Birdsboro
- Drake Well Museum, Titusville
- Eckley Miners’ Village, Weatherly
- Ephrata Cloister, Ephrata
- Erie Maritime Museum & Flagship Niagara, Erie
- Fort Pitt Museum, Pittsburgh
- Graeme Park, Horsham
- Hope Lodge, Ft. Washington
- Joseph Priestley House, Northumberland
- Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum, Lancaster
- Pennsbury Manor, Morrisville
- Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum, Scranton
- Pennsylvania Lumber Museum, Ulysses
- Pennsylvania Military Museum, Boalsburg
- Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, Strasburg
- Somerset Historical Center, Somerset
More information about the Cornwall Iron Furnace on its website.